Tuesday, August 3, 2010

8/3/10 -- Changes to I-Share, Part 1

I-Share connects the resources of 76 academic libraries in the state of Illinois. Thanks to I-Share, Northern Seminary students, staff, and faculty can access over 9 million library items either by requesting them online or by going to any I-Share library and checking out books directly from that library.

One of I-Share's strengths has been its flexibility. Cooperatively, the I-Share libraries agree to loan materials to each other; individually, each I-Share library is free to establish local policies that determine things like how long their own students can borrow a book.

Starting on Wednesday, August 4, there will be a significant change to how I-Share libraries will loan materials to each other. There will now be a single, unified policy to ensure that every I-Share library offers the same loan periods and policies to every other I-Share library. Those of you who have used I-Share in the past may have noticed that some I-Share libraries let you keep books longer than others. That will change; starting on August 4, every I-Share loan will be for 28 days with 3 renewals permitted.

Note that each school will still have the freedom to establish different policies for loaning materials to their own students. What will change is that I-Share loans -- loans from one I-Share library to a patron at another I-Share library -- will now all be a uniform 28 days. This new policy is meant to reduce confusion and ensure equitable loan arrangements between I-Share libraries.

This is the first of two changes. The next change to be implemented will affect how much libraries charge for overdue fines for I-Share loans and the kinds of fines that can block someone from using the I-Share system. Keep watching this blog or subscribe to blog postings to learn when I-Share Change, Part 2 will happen.

No comments: